If only they were… But unfortunately strawberry fields are seasonal and therefore not forever. Luckily for us, the season of this red, heart-shaped, super sweet fruit has started. YAY!
At Carduccio we love strawberries. We love their bright redness, their cute little green hat and how they come in a million different sizes. The sweet smell of those first strawberries, combined with the rising temperature in Florence this time of year, makes us nostalgically think about summer. What will the hot summer months bring us this year?
Our organic strawberries come from farmers in Tuscany and Sicily. As you can imagine, the fruit from the south gets more sun. Although both farms deliver pure fruity goodness, Sicilian fruit is sometimes even sweeter!
Strawberries leave us with endless new dish possibilities. Besides adding strawberries to salads, smoothies and juices, we like playing around with new food combinations. Did you know that strawberries taste surprisingly yummy with green asparagus? Strawberry-chia seed pudding is one of our favourites too!
Did you know that strawberries…
- are the first fruit to ripen each spring.
- contain more vitamin C than oranges.
- shared with watermelon, win first prize in water content. They contain about 90% water and are therefore extremely hydrating (hence summer fruit).
- are the only fruit that wear their seeds on the outside. The average berry is covered in 200 of them.
- are members of the rose family.
- should be rinsed before removing the green hat, in order to maintain the perfect sweetness.
Come in and try our strawberries!